Peter B. Waite started his teaching career as a lecturer, at Dalhousie University, in 1951. He was hired as an assistant professor in 1955, promoted to an associate professor in 1960, and gained full professorship in 1961. He headed the History department from 1960 to 1968 and retired in 1988.
Wait was commissioned to write an official history of Dalhousie University. After several years of research, he published “The Lives of Dalhousie University”, a two volume history covering the period 1818 to 1980. Volume One was published in 1994 and Volume Two was published in 1998.
Print copies of "The Lives of Dalhousie University" are available at the Killam Library (LE 3 D32 W3 1994), Kellogg Library (LE 3 D32 W34), and MacRae Library (LE 3 D32 W3). Non-circulating copies are also available in the Killam Library Special Collections (LE 3 D32 W3 1994) and University Archives (LE 3 D32 W3 1994).