Skip to main content

History of Dalhousie University

A guide for researching the history of Dalhousie University

Key Facts

  • Established in 1883
  • First university law school established in the common-law provinces of Canada
  • During the Faculty's first years, tuition was approximately $30, and the cost of books was around $20
  • By 1936, Dalhousie Law School graduates sat on the bench of all but three Provincial Supreme Courts
  • New James Dunn Law Library built in 1985 after a fire destroyed the previous fifth floor library
  • Existed in a variety of buildings, including temporary housing on the ground floor of a high school (1883), the Halliburton House (1885), the Forrest building (1887), the Law Building (currently the University Club) (1951), and its current location at the Weldon Law Building (1966)
  • Dalhousie Legal Aid Service, started in 1970 as a summer project by the Halifax Neighbourhood Centre, is the oldest clinical law program in Canada
  • The Indigenous Blacks and Mi'kmaq Initiative (IBMI) program was established in 1989

Deans of the Faculty of Law

Key People