(Disclaimer: The content of this page was adapted from University of Maryland's SHARE Program Module VI)
Healthcare advocacy: The process by which the actions of individuals or groups attempt to bring about social and/or organizational change on behalf of a particular health goal, program, interest or population.
• Help an individual or group accomplish goals by providing resources, like money or supplies
• Provide skills to move a cause forward
• Develop tools for people that need help advocating for themselves
• Provide resources to people so that they can succeed
• See a problem and work to find a solution
• Speak up for a cause and educate others as to why this particular cause is important
• Think about any people you know who could help you get started- do you know anyone who has done something similar before, or who is directly involved with the problem you noticed?
• Talk to people- see if other people have noticed the same problem, or if there are any existing groups in your community working towards a solution