WK Kellogg Health Sciences Library - Tupper Building
by October 2, 2017
The donation by Dr. Cogswell of his personal libraryto the Nova Scotia Medical Society was the origin of the Cogswell Memorial Library. The library was located at Halifax Medical College and would serve as the foundation of the collection for the Medical-Dental Library and the future W.K. Kellogg Health Sciences Library.
The Dalhousie College and University Faculty of Medicine Library (1868-1874) and the Halifax Medical College Library (1875-1911) were forerunners of the current Kellogg Library.
The Medical-Dental Library opened shortly after the closing of the Cogswell Memorial Library and would remain open until 1965. The library was demolished to allow construction of the new Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building on that same site.
Construction begins on the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building
W. K. Kellogg Foundation donates $420, 000 to help establish a library for all health sciences
July 14, 1967
Sir Charles Tupper Building and W.K. Kellogg Library officially open
Kellogg Library brought under Dalhousie Libraries Banner
Kellogg Library moves to Chapter House during the renovation
New Kellogg Library Learning Commons opens in CHEB
Kellogg Library moves back to newly renovated space in the Tupper Building
Pictures from the Past
The Dalhousie Medical-Dental Library was demolished in 1965 to allow for the construction of the Sir Charles Tupper Medical Building and the W.K. Kellogg Health Sciences Library.
Drawing of the Tupper Building by J. Philip Dumaresq & Associates Architects (1960's)
W.K. Kellogg - Founder of the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, which provided money to help construct the W.K. Kellogg Health Sciences Library
Construction of the Sir Charles Tupper Building - 1966
The Queen Mother at the Opening of the Sir Charles Tupper Building and the W.K. Kellogg Library - July 14, 1967
Photo of the new Kellogg Library - 1967
Photo of the Study Carrels in the new Kellogg Library - 1967
Photo of the Second Floor of the new Kellogg Library- 1967
M. Doreen Fraser - Head of the Kellogg Library (1967-1972)
Alan MacDonald - Head of the Kellogg Library (1972-1977)
Citation: University of Calgary Archives 84.005_53.44
Ann Manning - Head of the Kellogg Library (1979-1989)
Elizabeth 'Betty' Sutherland - Head of the Kellogg Library (1990-2004)
Patrick Ellis - Head of the Kellogg Library (2005-2016)
Ann Barrett - Head of the Kellogg Library (2016-Present)
Staff of the Kellogg Library - 1984
The Boniuk Reading Room
The Boniuk Family made a significant donation to the W.K. Kellogg Health Sciences Library in honor of their parents.
Staff of the Kellogg Health Library - 2004
From left to right: Ann Barrett (Head of the Kellogg Library 2016-Present), Dr. Carol Smillie, Patrick Ellis (Former Head of the Kellogg Library 2005-2016)
Article about Dr. Norman Coward
Bill Owen was a Kellogg staff member. The Bill Owen Memorial Fund made a donation to the place that Bill had worked, the Kellogg Library.
W.K. Kellogg Library Entry - 2015
W.K. Kellogg Library Entryway - 2015
W.K. Kellogg Circulation Desk - 2015
Stairs leading down to the main floor of the Kellogg Library - 2015
The painting is Robert Pope's "The Hug", which is part of a collection of paintings (Illness and Healing Collection) that are meant to demonstrate the experience of cancer from the perspective of the patient.
Second Floor of the Kellogg Library - 2015
Stairs and Desks in the Kellogg Library - 2015
A plaque commemorating the Centennial and the donation of the Provincial Medical Board of Nova Scotia.