Skip to main content

History of Dalhousie University

A guide for researching the history of Dalhousie University

Key Facts

  • Established on April 1, 1997, with the merger of the Technical University of Nova Scotia (TUNS) with Dalhousie University 
  • Previously a part of Dalhousie's Department of Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science
  • In 1993, there were 8 faculty members in Computer Science (not all of whom were computer scientists), and the annual budget for the Faculty was 600 000 per annum
  • The Computer Science building opened in 1999, renamed the Goldberg Computer Science building in June 2008
  • Dalhousie got their first computer in 1964 - an IBM 1620 so big it had to be hoisted into the roof of the Dunn building by crane

Resources in the University Archives

President's Office fonds

Technical University of Nova Scotia fonds